Saturday 30 July 2016

RED ALERT: Festac Residents Beware, Kidnappers Are In Your Domain




The recent release from captivity of a prominent Lagos-based businessman (name withheld for security reasons) by his abductors has, once again, thrown the densely populated Festac Town and Amuwo-Odofin areas into fear. The 45-year-old businessman of Igbo extraction, who resides in Festac area with members of his family, spent virtually six months under the close watch of his abductors who ignored all entreaties by his friends and family to free him.

 This was after they released huge sums of money requested as ransom by the kidnappers in different occasions to them, yet they refused to set him free.
Their grouse, according to family sources, was to ensure that all the millions of naira he realised from his business ventures were exhausted else he would pay the supreme prize. In addition, his abductors were said to have reprimanded members of his family for getting security agents involved in the matter hence they decided to ‘punish them’.

Freedom turns into nightmare Unfortunately, the freedom being enjoyed by the embattled businessman has turned into a nightmare to his millionaire friends and associates. They are anticipating renewed attacks by the abductors as information gathered revealed that their foot soldiers are already on the prowl, in search of fresh victims.

The situation has degenerated to the extent that most of the businessmen have restricted their movements especially at nights. They now sneak into their respective clubs without much fun fair unlike in the past when their entry was heralded with praises and back slapping.

Lapse in security Worse still, the respite enjoyed at the height of the kidnapping saga with security agents in fierce battle to trace their whereabouts has elapsed. These days, according to one of the businessmen, “there is a noticeable lapse in security in both Festac and Amuwo-Odofin areas where the abductors hold sway and, we are afraid that they may soon strike.” “Our worry”, he continued, “is that security agents are supposed to know where these criminals are coming from; their kingpins, foot soldiers and modus operandi yet, they are allowed to freely operate and get away with their victims.
Can you imagine somebody being kept in seclusion and captivity for six months, family members are forced to pay millions of naira as demanded by his abductors, in this Lagos, yet security men could not free him or discover their hide out?” New trend.

However, one of the victims who vehemently refused to be quoted told Crime Guard: “I was kept in a one-storey building along Ago Palace Way for the period of two months they abducted me. I was kidnapped while driving into my close in Festac extension by gun-toting young men who escaped after shooting sporadically into the air to scare on lookers.

 They blind folded me but because I am very conversant with the area, I felt they were moving towards Ago Palace Way. That was before the road was constructed. Suddenly, I felt bumps and also overheard voices speaking in Igbo language. We ended up in one of the buildings there and after they removed the cloth covering my eyes and tied my hands behind my back, I noticed they were not the sole occupant of the building. I spent my days there in solitude but I was constantly listening to conversations between other occupants of the building but I was afraid to raise alarm because two of them were on guard with guns, threatening to ‘waste me’ if I open my mouth. So, I am convinced that they use some buildings as their hideouts along Ago Palace Way and I expect security agents to move into action and smash them,” he stated.
Read more here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...