Saturday 3 December 2016

USAIN BOLT: My Only Regret

Bolt

Multiple Olympic gold medalist and sprint king, Usain Bolt admits running the 200 metres in under 19 seconds is the only remaining feat he wishes he had achieved during his illustrious career.


The Jamaican sprinter Bolt completed an unprecedented 'triple-triple' at Rio 2016, winning gold in the 100m, 200m and 4x100m for the third straight Olympic Games.

The 31-year-old is set to retire following the 2017 World Championships in London, where he will only compete in the 100m. Bolt holds the 200m world record of 19.19 seconds, but failing to clock a sub-19 time is the one thing that still rankles with him.

"That's probably the only thing that, I won't say regret, but something I missed out on," he said at a media conference ahead of the IAAF Athlete of the Year awards.

"It wouldn't be a regret because no one would have thought I would have run 19.19, not even myself. For me, it was something that was possible, could be possible, and I missed out on."

"What do I want to do when I retire? Nothing!"

Bolt wanted to break new ground in Rio, though his coach never thought recording a time below 19 seconds was possible for him.
He added: "I remember after we got in [from the 200m final] I was saying I was tired. My coach looked at me and said: 'You really thought you could have broken the 19 barrier?'

"And I was like: 'Yeah, I really think [I can]'. And he was like: 'No'. So I was like: 'Why didn't you tell me that beforehand? You should have said to just go out there and win it.'

"In my mind I genuinely thought I could've run under 19 seconds until I came round that corner and my legs decided that we weren't going to do anything about it. It's just one of those things."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...