Tuesday 29 November 2016

How My Career Began With A Free Lunch Promise– Usain Bolt


Multiple Olympic gold medalist and World fastest man, Usain Bolt, in a recent interview revealed how his athletics career started after his school’s pastor when he was 12 promised a box lunch if he could win a race.


Despite his ability to run very fast, athletics does not appeal to him as he was more interested in cricket like most Jamaicans. “I was more interested in cricket than in running when I was at school.

Like most Jamaicans,” Bolt said. “I just lived for cricket and played every minute that I could. But my teachers could see how fast I was and they wanted me to try track and field.

“That didn’t look as much fun to me. When I was 12 years old, to convince me to give athletics a go, our pastor, Reverend Nugent, promised a box lunch to whoever won a race. In Jamaica, a box lunch is full of chicken and rice – a great prize – and I loved my
food. Still do! So I ran the fastest and won the box lunch. “That was how it all started.

The prizes got a bit bigger over the years, but it’s the same determination to come first that makes me who I am today.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...